With the Breaking Bad season premiere coming up this Sunday, you probably need something to sip as you and your friends gasp at the TV. If you’re looking for drink inspiration for your premiere party, it’s about time you break out those bottles and get mixing! You don’t need your chemistry set to come up with the perfect blue stuff for you and your guests to enjoy– just follow this easy recipe for Breaking Bad Blue Margaritas (with Blue Salt and Blue Ice Chips) for a cocktail worthy of the one who knocks.
Obviously the color of this cocktail was inspired by Heisenberg’s famous, ahem, product. But remember, Walter said, “No more half measures.” If you’re making these, the cocktail color isn’t enough to get the full effect– you’ve got to make the salt and the ice, too! Don’t worry, everything is so easy to put together that you really only will have to spend a few minutes prepping hours before the premiere. Then you’ll have plenty of time to prepare the rest of your Breaking Bad Menu.
I had originally thought about making Breaking Bad inspired rock candy to post here, but it’s been done many times so I figured I’d just pass on the link. Instead, I decided to make something easier that has a similar appearance– Blue Ice Chips! These ice chips will melt (obviously) if left out, but you can put them in an ice bucket to keep them intact if leaving them out for guests to make their own drinks, or simply drop them right into your glasses and fill them up. They’re such a fun and almost effortless addition to your Breaking Bad themed drinks, it’d be wrong not to make them– and I could say the same for the Blue Salt.
But most importantly, the margarita. Remember Hank’s Famous Margaritas? How about the deadly tequila? What about the scene where Walter encourages Walter Jr. to take too many shots of the stuff? It’s obvious that the agave liquor has it’s place in the show as it is based in New Mexico, so it’d be wrong to not enjoy a margarita in honor of Breaking Bad’s last season. The bright blue color of the margarita makes it even more fitting.
Pour yourself one, sit back, and complain about how you can’t believe what a jerk Walter has become. Then get in a very heated argument with your friend about whether or not Skyler is terrible. Then both agree that Marie is, in fact, the worst, and toast to your mutual despise… and enjoy the show.
- Blue food coloring
- Coarse salt such as Kosher salt or sea salt
- Blue food coloring
- 4 oz tequila
- 2 oz triple sec
- 2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 oz blue curacao
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 lime, cut into wedges.
- Pour water onto a baking sheet, creating a ¼” thick layer of water, and leaving plenty of room so that the water doesn’t spill out. Squeeze 4 drops of blue food coloring on top and mix around with a spoon until even. Add more drops until you achieve a strong blue color (6-8 drops, typically). It will lighten up a bit as it freezes.
- Place the sheet in the freezer on an even surface and let freeze until ready to serve (at least 2 hours).
- When ready to serve, remove the baking sheet from the freezer. Using a mallet, smash sections of the ice sheet and then carefully use a fork to further pry pieces apart. Drop them in a glass and serve!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- As you wait for the ice to freeze, put the salt into a sandwich bag (use as much salt as you think you will need to rim the amount of margaritas you plan to make). Add a dropsof blue food coloring, close the sandwich bag, and use your hands to work the salt and dye around until all of the salt is evenly colored. Repeat until you reach your desired color.
- Pour the salt out onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes to remove any moisture from the dye.
- Add the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, blue curacao, and sugar to a mixer filled halfway with ice and shake well.
- Rub a lime wedge on the rim of your glass. Place the Blue Salt onto a small plate and dip the rim of your glass in the salt, turning it to evenly coat. Flip the glass right-side up and let it dry for a few seconds. Add your Blue Ice Chips and then pour in your margarita.