Now that the sweater and insulated jacket have regained their spots as wardrobe necessities, there’s no denying it—the season of barbeques, mojitos, and daiquiris has officially ended. But not to worry! As the temperature plummets, we can kick up the heat with one of the year’s tastiest drinks—hot chocolate.
As I found myself with numb fingers and a sweet tooth a few nights ago, I realized that there’s only one proper solution for a cold/hungry combo this time of year, and of course, it’s cocoa. I sat with my friend and long-time roommate, Jackie, in the living room of what once was our shared apartment and sprung the idea on her. Want me to make some hot chocolate? Jackie laughed at first and declined—she would go get herself a glass of her signature Sweet Tea Vodka cocktail instead. A little alcohol during our catch-up conversations was always welcome, if not expected.
What if I make cocktails? Hot chocolate cocktails. With ice cream. And caramel. And just like that, I was given the go-ahead to get my hot chocolate fix, and was told to make enough to share. Who could turn down hot chocolate, alcohol, ice cream, and caramel? Not I. Not she.
So after a quick trip to the liquor store, I made my concoction. Would it taste as good as it sounded? The first time, no. I put far too much alcohol in, which resulted in an extremely bitter drink. But the second time? The second time I wound up with a drink which will be recreated on many a winter’s night to come—the Adult Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Float.
- Hot chocolate, prepared as you like it. I recommend Ghirardelli Double Chocolate if you’re not making homemade
- 1.5 – 3 oz Bailey’s Irish Cream Liqueur, with a Hint of Caramel
- 1 heaping scoop vanilla ice cream (I used vanilla frozen yogurt, because that’s what was available at the house)
- Caramel sauce, chocolate shavings, and sea salt to top
- Prepare your hot chocolate.
- Put a shot to two shots of Bailey’s “Hint of Caramel” Irish Cream Liqueur in a cup. One shot for small glasses and coffee mugs, two for beer mugs, highball glasses, etc.*
- Fill the remainder of the cup halfway with hot chocolate.
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzle with caramel sauce, and add chocolate shavings and a light sprinkle of sea salt. Enjoy!